WELCOME TO OUR SITE

PLEASE DAVEN FOR MENACHEM SHALOM BEN MIRIAM Feel free to check in periodically for updates on our lives. We look forward to hearing from you in the comments section. Love, Miriam and Shmuel

Monday, December 22, 2008

1st Day of Chanukah- 1st Day of Antibodies

The first day of Chanuka started off magically with a festive Chai Lifeline Chanukah party at Sloan Kettering. Menschi couldn't partake of the doughnuts (egg allergic) but had his share of chocolate lollipops. There was even a magician that captivated him. Whenever the magician asked for volunteers Menschi enthusiastically yelled "me, me....me,me,me".
Unfortunately, the magic quickly faded once 3F8 (antibody) infusions began. In spite of pain meds, and sedatives he was awake and in a lot of pain. I'm hoping that the first day was the worst and that now that they know his pain med. level(they always start slowly and work up to a higher dose) subsequent infusions will be easier(Please G-d).
Menschi and I are really looking forward to seeing Daddy, Adina Tova, Leah, and Moshe Simcha tomorrow!!!!!

8 comments:

Shevy said...

It tears *me* apart that Menschi has to go through this pain and it's not like he's my child or I've even met him. I can't imagine how hard it is for you.

Please G-d, they'll manage his pain better in the future.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy, Enjoy your family time! The kids are really looking forward to seeing you. Rabbi and Miriam remain strong, Hashem is with you. Love the neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Call me over the next couple of days if you need me to run up and get the other kids out of your hair or if you want me to bring my two teenage girls up to play with them so you and Shmuel can take care of Menschi...... or if you want me to bring them here to play for a couple of hours. We have a lot of people off over the next couple of days ....

- Chanie

Anonymous said...

Well Chanukkah in Sav is not the same without you here. We did borrow some quality time with the kids recently and hugged Moshe Simcha a lot!!! You are always in our prayers and if there is anything we can do here at home please call!!! Enjoy the family time, the kids are soooo excited!!!
Send lots of love to Menschi for us and we will keep davening111
xoxoxo
Andrea Daniel Shira

Anonymous said...

I daven that Menschi should have a Refuah Shelaima B'Karov and that his pain should be minimized as much as posibble! I know how difficult it must have been to see him in so much pain! I remember how miserable Reuven was during his time in BMT. May Hashem continue tio give you and your family much strength!!! Call me ANY TIME!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the previous comment was from me...Tovi Kirshner.

Anonymous said...

I hope that today goes a little better than yesterday and I am glad that yesterday (day two was a bit better than day one.) Hopefully they will be able to manage the pain a little better today for Menschi.

I'm sure you are glad to have Shmuel up there with you now to help you.

In terms of getting out and doing stuff with the kids, if you do get a chance, just a bit of information, Miriam.

In front of the hospital there is a free shuttle that I discovered yesterday that will drop you off by Sloan's other building on 53rd and Third. It leaves every 20 minutes. You may want to hop on that and get off on 53rd. I th think I left a schedule in the Barnes and Nobles bag yesterday unless i threw it out. It's 20 minutes on the hour though i.e. 11 a.m, 11:20 a.m., etc.

Directly across the street on 53rd in the Citicorp building there are two kosher places to eat, but they are fleishigs. One is Eli's Deli. And the other is a shwarma place which is actually right outside of the building but within the Citicorp building. There are tables that you can sit and eat.

There is a 2 p.m. mincha there too, in case Shmuel wants to go out instead of you but I think you can probably find something in the hospital or close nearby for him.

Perhaps the kids want to split a pastrami sandwich or something from Eli's or maybe better to get stuff in the hospital. I am sure Chai will come by or the Bikur Cholim.

I was at Elis' yesterday before I came up and everyone seemed to be ordering pastrami sandwiches. I am not sure why. Maybe they are good. Yosef seemed to think that Eli's has good food so we went there.

There is an indoor train ride there but I don't know if it has a Holiday theme or not or what the cost is. I didn't pay much attention.

There is a Barnes and Nobles in the building too, in case your kids already have the game Yosef & I got them and they wanted to exchange it. The gift receipt is in the bag.

If it's not too cold, definately walk over to Sony Wonder - a free attraction - a computer museum place - located on Madison and 56th. The kids will love it and the price is right. The hours are Tuesday through Sat 10-12, probably closed on Sunday.

You would have to walk a couple of blocks over to the West and then just a few short blocks north to get there. I don't think it's too far for them to walk.

There was a nice pottery place that I noticed on the block of Ronald McDonald, but I dont' know about the cost and I am sure you saw it too.

The library is something nice to see as is FAO Schwartz. Just tell them that it's a museum so they don't want to buy anything. Fao Schwartz actually is right around the area of Sony WOnder so you can ask someone exactly where it is but it's a few blocks north.

Toys R Us in Times Square has a indoor ferris wheel but it will probably be a zoo today and closed tomorrow.

Central Park's zoo is relatively cheap and Central Park has a carousel that is something ridiculously cheap but I am not sure where they are located exactly and probably not right near each other.

THere used to be a Chanuka House, put out by Chabad on Fifth Avenue and 44th in a storefront. Call Tzivos Hashem to see if it's running this year. 718 467 6630. (I can't call now they aren't open)

Call if you need anything. We're here.

Oh, one more thing, my cell phone is not here. I left it in someone's car yesterday so call the house. 212-777-0730

Chanie

Anonymous said...

Re-reading my post. Correction. Sony is open on sunday. Just meant to say probably closed on Holidays and they are for sure clsoed on Monday but try to get there with the kids. It's a good, free attraction.