WELCOME TO OUR SITE

PLEASE DAVEN FOR MENACHEM SHALOM BEN MIRIAM Feel free to check in periodically for updates on our lives. We look forward to hearing from you in the comments section. Love, Miriam and Shmuel

Thursday, January 31, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude

(Miriam writing) I wanted to take the opportunity to thank firstly Tamar --- in addition to a hundred other things I could thank her and her family for --- for getting this blog up and running. It's providing a good outlet for focusing on the positive and recognizing how many joyful gifts I've been blessed with. The magnitude in which I see HaShem's Hand in my personal life is profound. Yes, my new reality has medical matters to be involved with everyday, but there are so many details in each situation that I can choose to focus on that are truly positive, and help me to feel that I'm being carried gently through this test.
Here are but a few highlights that I find incredible:


  • The way in which HaShem has orchestrated things so that the place where we needed to be was a place with not only a neuroblastoma expert, but a caring neuroblastoma expert (unfortunately with my father we witnessed firsthand how good bedside manner and expertise don't always go hand in hand), oncology nurses that try to create a "home away from home" to the best of their ability, the support of Tamar's family and the entire Jewish Atlanta community, a place that was close enough to home so we could be together as a family more often, and good friends in savannah that before I even asked had already absorbed my family into their own while we were away . . .
  • My amazing husband Shmuel, who I never even need to say any words to know that we are one in mind and spirit.
  • The understanding of ADINA TOVA, LEAHleh, and MOSHE SIMCHA in this situation and sharing their Mommy so generously with Menschi, in particular. They've been real troopers so far, and I'm really proud of them!
  • Having a mother who has been a role model of strength in times of adversity, and a constant source of encouragement and devotion.
  • The outpouring of unconditional love from my friends and family who have shown their support in so many ways (and continue to brighten our days . . .)
  • The special, special, special team of doctors and nurses who are not only caring for my son's health, but also have shown how they actually care about him, as well.
  • Chai Lifeline. Their name says it all. From the very beginning I had someone holding my hand with experience that lifted my spirits and kept me focused (The little spoken of side effect of chemo is that it actually can make the patient better ;).
  • Maura Savage, MSW at Children's hospital for all that you do and especially making sure that Shabbos is Shabbos even in the hospital. You should have seen Menschi's face light up when he saw a shabbos table next to his crib!
  • Living in an awesome community such as Savannah (and the many kindnesses too numerous to begin listing), and a School Board that's particularly sensitive to our current situation, especially Morah Ester for helping assure that our kids are well cared for at this challenging time.
  • All the people who don't even know me or my adorable Menschi, and are davening for him anyway . . . ALL OVER THE WORLD
  • The changes people have made to their lives in the merit of a refuah Shelaimah for Menachem Shalom ben Miriam, from tehillim (reciting psalms) to taking on extra mitzvos (like lighting shabbos candles, learning Torah), to doing mitzvos more carefully or deliberately (having more intention when making blessings over food, i.e.) all are true inspirations for the soul. Please, keep telling me about these deeds (we're going to try to figure out a way to post them in a section of the blog soon . . .)
  • Tzedakah, gifts, caring words, commitments of time and effort . . . . . all on our behalf. We're astounded by the volume in which the kindness keeps pouring in.

All I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I hope that we can all merit soon to feel the closeness with HaShem that I feel now without enduring anymore pain or sorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it goes without saying it (but I will anyways) that the biggest thanks goes to my amazing Aishes Chayil, Miriam. She's the one who is there, day and night, through the smiles and the kvetchiness, the procedures and the pokes, right at Menachem Shalom's side. She's the constant in his life, the foundation he knows he can always rely upon, that will enable him to get through all of this and be able to continue into a life of normalcy. And it's because of her strength that the rest of us are able to keep life moving along here as close to normal as possible. Thank you Miriam for being such a wonderful mother to our children. May we all merit to see the beauty of the path Hashem has laid for us, with the final Yeshua, Bimheira!

Anonymous said...

Thanks also go out to my Mom, for dropping everything and coming down here to Savannah to help us out at home. The Savannah community has been so helpful, and a true blessing to us; but without my mother here, I don't think my children would going to school dressed, shall we say, appropriately, nor would our house look fit for habitation. Not to mention enabling me to work. Thanks Mom!

CM2 said...

Kol hakavod to a wonderful couple and extended family for being able to maintain such a positive attittude during what must be a very challenging time.

We're davening for the zisskeit here in NY and thinking about you often. Let us know if there's anything else we can do!

Refuah SHelaima and keep strong!
Esther and Adiel

Anonymous said...

Shmuel, Miriam, I have let the family know your situation. I include Menshie in my morning prayers every day and hope for a speedy and full recovery, b'ezrat HaShem.
Anything I can do for you, just ask.
Love,
Cuz Sara/Susan